So, let's talk dogs and chocolate. I got a wonderful box of After Eight collection chocolates for Christmas. I was savoring it. I had eaten a couple out the the box. A dark chocolate leaf, a mint truffle, a medallion and a clock. There was about 3/4 of the box left (142g box) I had it in a Sobeys bag on the floor, where I always keep my Christmas candy. We went out for the evening and when I came home I went to grab a chocolate, only to find that the lid was ajar and the box was completely empty. I dumped the whole bag on the couch only to find one dark chocolate medallion left. I was so disappointed. I knew there was only one culprit.
And then I thought, "well she looks fine. Why doesn't she look sick?"
Now, this dog will let you know any time she does ANYTHING wrong. But, she showed no signs of shame. I figured she must have done it right after I left for work that morning. If it were to bother her, I believe it would have done so by now. So, just to be safe, I did a bit of research.
I found some very useful info on this site here: Petful
It essentially states that white chocolate has almost none of what bothers animals. (0.25mg per oz.)
Dark chocolate, which is what she ate, has 130mg per oz.
If a dog has eaten close to 20 mg of chocolate per pound of weight, then they need to see a vet.
I figured out that she ate about 10mg per pound of body weight. She's fine. But I can tell you that when she pooped the next morning and ran by me, all I could smell was mint.....